Why Acoustic Wave Therapy (AWT)?
AWT uses pressure waves that impact both of the major causes of cellulite: fibrous septae and protrusion of fat into the lower dermis. The AWT produces a pressure wave that passes through skin and fat to impact the fibrous septae. The pressure breaks up the collagen of the septae and releases the skin, allowing a smoother surface. The thickened dermis helps to reduce the protrusion of fat into the dermis. Again, this reduces the appearance of cellulite.
With its ability to impact both of the major causes of cellulite, AWT is uniquely suited to improve the appearance of cellulite. Acoustic wave used in medical and aesthetic treatments are sound waves which have been described as high pressure amplitude, are generated extra corporeally and are introduced into the body without causing any damage to the skin.
AWT mechanically vibrates connective tissue in affected areas of the body, improving the skin’s appearance by causing the connective tissue to stretch which increases its elasticity. A recent study showed a near 90% increase in skin elasticity with the improvements continuing even three months after the treatment process was completed.
The treatment is quick, effective non-invasive and pain free. Vascularization (the organic process whereby body tissue develops capillaries) is also increased, ensuring better exchanges to the connective tissue. An inflammatory reaction is also introduced that triggers the release of healing mediators, creating fibroblastic proliferation leading to a new, thickened band of collagen being deposited in the upper and mid portions of the skin.
What to expect
Before AWT, enlarged fat cells push the skin up and compress the circulatory system, reducing inflow of nutrients and outflow of waste products. Diminished exchanges in circulation lead to a gradual stiffening of the connective tissue, pulling down on the skin. The push/pull effect creates the appearance of cellulite. During AWT, the mechanical action disrupts the connective tissue to firm and smooth the skin.
This causes neo-vascularization, improving circulatory exchanges (the root cause of the problem) and initiates an inflammatory process in the skin, leading to thicker, more elastic skin through collagen production. After AWT the elasticity of the connective tissue is restored and the skin is smoother, thicker and more elastic with noticeable improvement to the skin’s texture.
Acoustic wave therapy does not destroy tissue but allows the body’s natural healing process to accelerate the recovery from combined problems which are contributing factors to cellulite.
Benefits of Acoustic Wave Therapy
- Treatment of cellulite (1-3) and weak connective tissue
- Reduction of stretch marks and improvement of scars
- Improvement of skin elasticity and firmness increase (to 74% and beyond)
- Enhances metabolic activity and stimulates fat breakdown (enzyme controlled lipolysis) • Increases blood circulation, collagen production is stimulated and it strengthens the dermis and epidermis
- Improved firmness by increasing cell density, improves elasticity of the skin and connective tissue
- Long lasting improvement to skin texture and smoothness
- Improves lymphatic drainage and eliminates waste products
- Stretches and improves the quality of septae to increase elasticity, improve microcirculation and blood flow to the effected area
- Can be used successfully and immediately after cryotherapy induced lipolysis to improve benefits • Long term effectiveness of about 6 months
- No pain, no surgery or recovery time
- Acoustic wave has been found to be one of the first effective treatments for age-related connective tissue weakness especially in the treatment of cellulite
- Acoustic wave therapy is effective in disrupting sclerotic fibrous septae as one of the few prime causes of cellulite • Increases thickness of the reticular dermis to decrease the protrusion of the cellulite fat.
Treatment duration/ importance of maintenance
Every client receives treatment twice a week for 4-6 weeks depending upon condition of each individual client. Each session lasts 15-20 minutes and improvements continue even three months after the last treatment. Every part of our body, once recovered, needs to be maintained in order to stay in a perfect and healthy condition, just as we maintain our health by exercising daily, drinking an adequate amount of water and consuming a balanced diet, we also need to maintain the AWT treatment to keep cellulite at the minimum level after the last session. Since the majority of tasks get accomplished in the early stages of treatment, maintenance sessions are offered once every six months.
Clinical studies suggest regular maintenance helps with the following:
- Improvement in the texture of the skin
- Fat loss from affected areas
- Better blood flow to the affected areas
- Improved skin tightening
- Improved skin elasticity
- Drink three litres of water daily
- Drink one litre of water immediately after treatment
- Cut down on salt intake, avoid processed and tinned food • Follow a low fat diet
- Exercise for 30 minutes daily (walking, cycling, swimming etc)
- Two sessions of AWT required weekly
- Follow up session for client is mandatory one week after treatment